DC is winning the TV war atm. Agents of Shield and Agent Carter simply haven’t matched the standards set by Season 2 of Arrow and Season 1 of Flash and with Supergirl and Legends of Tomorrow coming soon it’s only likely to get better from DC. To acknowledge this, here’s my top ten Flash/Arrow episodes!
Warning: Some Spoilers!
10. The Odyssey (Arrow Season 1) An episode that focused mainly on flashbacks to Oliver Queen and Slade Wilson joining forces in an attempt to escape from the island of Lian Yu, this remains a stand-out moment of season 1 and the best use of flashbacks on the show to date.
9. Al Saheem (Arrow Season 3) Oliver has turned to the dark side (or has he?) and his friends have to deal with the consequences as the league of Assassins arrives in Starling City to capture Ra’s al Ghul’s daughter Nyssa… Excellent for it’s unpredictably and for finally making the Hong Kong flashbacks in season 3 interesting and relevant to the main plot.
8. The Climb (Arrow Season 3) Oliver is forced to confront Ra’s al Ghul atop a mountain peak, leading to a massive cliffhanger… epic, season finale level quality and a great performance from Matt Nable as Ra’s – plus a jaw dropping final 5 minutes.
7. Sacrifice (Arrow Season 1 Finale) The Arrow faces a final battle with the Dark Archer as the undertaking begins and the plot to level part of Starling city nears completion. A shock character death and a last minute twist make this a great finale to cap Arrow’s first season.
6. Rogue Air (Flash Season 1) A mass ensemble of villains escaping and Firestorm, The Arrow and the Flash teaming up against the Reverse Flash? Great performances from Wentworth Miller and Tom Cavangh included. Pure comic-book fan-service but i loved every second of this episode.
5. Unthinkable (Arrow Season 2 Finale) The best finale from all 4 seasons of Arrow and Flash, this contains some great Oliver-Felicity moments, a epic fight in a tunnel with Deathstroke’s super-soldiers, a fun suicide squad cameo and a great flashback to Oliver’s battle with Slade 5 years previously. Everything a finale should have!
4. Out of Time (Flash Season 1) A mid-season episode that was a game changer in every way. A great turn as a villain from Liam McIntyre as Weather Wizard, the best Iris-Barry interaction of the series and THAT scene between Cisco and Dr. Wells… if you had any doubts about Flash’s quality this episode got rid of them permanently.
3. Deathstroke (Arrow Season 2) Arrow’s season 2 was one of the best TV seasons i’ve ever seen – the quality barely wavered for 23 episodes (all of which i would give at least 4 out of 5) – only Game of Thrones has had a run that good. Deathstroke was one of the highlights of season 2, a great main villain (despite being a somewhat minor character from the comics) and this episode was perfect as he made his move against Oliver Queen and built momentum which Arrow carried through all the way till the final showdown in ‘Unthinkable’, 5 episodes later.
2. The Trap (Flash Season 1) After discovering the Reverse Flash’s lair and seeing a glimpse of what the future holds for Barry, Team Flash attempt to trap the Reverse-Flash into confessing to the murder of Barry’s mother – only to find him yet again ten steps ahead of them. Season Finale worthy, this episode surprisingly surpassed the excellent out of time and remains the best episode of Flash so far.
1. Streets of Fire (Arrow Season 2) Following on from the multi-part cliffhanger to ‘City of Blood’ the opening ten minutes are something special. The return of a major villain from season 1 adds to the already high stakes, and Deathstroke’s super-soldiers attacking the city led to some great fight sequences. Unsurpassed by anything Arrow’s done since.