Here’s my annual predictions for the new Game of Thrones season. Surprisingly most of my season 6 predictions came true last time but this year its far less predictable. There’s virtually nothing left of the books to use as a guide so this is purely based off the two trailers and some fan theories.
Warning: Obvious Spoilers for seasons 1-6. Minor spoilers if you haven’t seen the Season 7 trailers.
- Euron Greyjoy will ally with Cersei: Has to happen. Not only does Euron doubtlessly want revenge on Yara and Theon, but Cersei is very outmatched by Daenerys’ forces atm, and Euron is really the only possible ally who might help even the odds.
- Littlefinger will use Jon’s parentage to further his (and Sansa’s?) agenda: It’s been half-hinted before in the show that Littlefinger might know about Jon’s real parentage (see his and Sansa’s convo in the Winterfell crypt in season 5). Even if he doesn’t, you suspect him or Sansa will find out and try to use it to get Sansa crowned Queen in the North in Jon’s place. Shots of Jon throttling Littlefinger suggest this doesn’t go down well…
- Tyrion and Grey Worm will storm Casterly Rock: The 2nd trailer shows Dragons swooping down on a castle we haven’t seen before, followed by a serious looking Tyrion as well as what looks like an unsullied surprise attack. My guess is this is Daenerys forces storming Casterly Rock (aka the Lannister’s home, which we haven’t seen before) and is probably an early move in the conflict between the two sides.
- Starks reunited: It seems certain Bran will reunite with his siblings this season, and I’d put money on Arya doing so as well. How the two of them react to the likely tension between Sansa and Jon should be interesting…
- The Hound and the Brotherhood will take the fight to the White Walkers: The Hound’s temporary alliance with the Brotherhood implies he will end up fighting the White Walkers, presumably venturing beyond the wall at some point. Hopefully The Hound might have a reunion with Arya somewhere en route…
- Jon gets evidence of the walkers and Davos travels south seeking allies: The trailer has shots of Davos in sunnier weather, suggesting he travels south seeking to rally Daenerys (and maybe the Lannisters) against the real enemy. Jon’s speech about families fighting together against a common enemy could tie into this as well. Odds are he and Daenerys might come face to face by the end of the season.
- Some of the Dragons will die or Daenerys will suffer a disaster: This almost certainly has to happen. Daenerys is just too powerful atm – in theory there’s no way Cersei should be able to fight her off. Which means one of two things must happen if their conflict will last the whole season (as you’d expect it to). Either some kind of defeat comes her way (my money’s on Euron and the Lannisters destroying a large part of her fleet) or Rhaegal and Viserion will die (we know Drogon won’t). One interesting possibility comes from Book 5, where Euron owns something called a Dragonhorn (I’ll leave TV fans to speculate on what exactly it does) which if also true in the show could be a major problem for Dany.
- Daenerys will attack and take King’s Landing: Despite what was just said, I still expect Dany to win this season and take the Iron Throne. Whether she’ll keep it in Season 8 is debatable but it seems certain she’ll beat Cersei here.
- Cersei will die (by Jaime or Tyrion’s hand): While it might be Daenerys who brings her down, fans (especially book fans) will doubtlessly be upset if it isn’t Jaime or Tyrion who kills her. A Prophecy in the books says Cersei must beware her ‘little brother’, suggesting Tyrion, but as Jaime was born seconds after her he is a possibility as well. My personal preference for how she dies would be Cersei trying to kill Tyrion but Jaime killing her to save his brother.
- The White Walkers will bring down the Wall: Most Thrones seasons end on a massive cliffhanger (The Birth of Dragons, The Army of the Dead, Jon’s Death, Daenerys finally setting sail for Westeros). While it could be another unexpected character death, my money would be the White Walkers finally attacking the wall – and destroying it (perhaps with the Horn of Joramun, book readers?) I may be completely wrong
Death predictions and odds:
Euron Greyjoy: 2/1. Near certain, given he’s one of only three of the show’s remaining human villains (I.e. Euron/Cersei/Littlefinger). He’s going to die.
Cersei: 2/1. Got to be surely? Hard to see at this point how the Lannisters can do well enough that Cersei will survive.
Yara/Theon: 10/1. People have been bigging up Euron as a villain this season, which inevitably means he’s going to kill someone the fans care about, and his niece and nephew are by far the most obvious candidates (plus I as I’ve said I suspect Daenerys’ fleet may meet with a severe defeat, which would not bode well for the Greyjoys).
Littlefinger: 15/1. More unsure about this one. Littlefinger’s scheming with Sansa may end up backfiring on him. I really want Varys to be the one to kill him (or at least be present to smirk at his death) but my gut says it’ll be Sansa or Brienne.
Grey Worm: 25/1. They’ve put a lot of effort into making us care about him and Missandei. Which doesn’t bode well by this shows record on doomed romances (see Jon and Ygritte, Tyrion and Shae, Dany and Drogo, Robb and Talisa… etc.)
Bronn: 25/1. Judging by all the shit House Lannister will have to wade through this season, I wouldn’t be surprised if Bronn dies in battle (well, him and Jaime are the only two on the Lannister side we care about, so one of them’s had it surely? Only other option would be him switching sides and rejoining Tyrion.