Well that was quite a series.
Warning: Spoilers (Obviously)
As I’ve said before – for every episode this series I know someone who loves it – it hasn’t had a universally disliked episode (unlike the 8 series before it) and Heaven Sent was an episode which was so good that it means I have to redo my top ten list!
Best Episodes: (4.5/5 or higher) Heaven Sent, Face the Raven, The Zygon Invasion, Hell Bent, Before the Flood
Worst Episodes: (2.5/5 or lower): None. Shows the quality of the season.
The Magician’s Apprentice – 4/5 – Mad but brilliant.
The Witch’s Familiar – 4/5 – Davros’ best appearance since 1975.
Under the Lake – 3.5/5 – Well crafted but lacking real tension.
Before the Flood – 4.5/5 – Now that’s how you finish a two-parter.
The Girl Who Died – 3.5/5 – An amazing last 15 minutes, a weak first 30.
The Woman Who Lived – 4/5 – Maisie Williams is great.
The Zygon Invasion – 4.5/5 – A globetrotting action fest.
The Zygon Inversion – 4/5 – Capaldi’s finest hour.
Sleep No More – 3/5 – An experiment that doesn’t quite work.
Face the Raven – 5/5 – Clara gets a fantastic exit.
Heaven Sent – 5/5 – A Masterpiece. Nothing else to say.
Hell Bent – 4.5/5 – A divisive, emotional, mad but epic finale.
Highs: Capaldi’s acting has placed him right up there with the best. Anyone who says Tennant can’t be matched as the Doctor is talking bullsh*t after this – Capaldi proved in the solo episode he can more than match Eccleston, Tennant and Smith (and the classic Doctors). Coleman has to be one of the best actresses to play a companion – and while it was time for her to leave, I’ll miss her. Maisie Williams was predictably the stand-out guest actor. The standard of direction, music and scripting this series has been consistently high from the writers, directors and Murray Gold.
As for the scenes that impressed me the most:
- The cliffhanger to The Magician’s Apprentice
- The Doctor’s conversation with Davros
- The deaf Cass is stalked by an axe-wielding ghost in Before the Flood
- The Doctor defeats the Fisher King (Before the Flood)
- The Doctor realises where he chose his face in The Girl Who Died
- A UNIT soldier debates shooting a Zygon posing as his own mother
- Clara and Bonnie’s interaction in the Zygon Inversion
- The Doctor’s Anti-War speech in the Zygon Inversion
- The surprise ending of Sleep No More
- Clara’s death in Face the Raven
- The Doctor escaping the prison in Heaven Sent
- Clara realising the Doctor lost 4.5 billion years trying to save her
Lows: The Doctor on a tank in Magician’s Apprentice? The underused guest actors in Under the Lake and Sleep No More. The poor guest actors in The Girl Who Died. Reece Shearsmith. That’s all I got.